1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg, separated
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter with sugars, molasses and egg yolk.
- Mix all remaining ingredients, except egg white.
- Stir into butter mixture to form stiff dough.
- Chill for 1 hour, then roll out onto a floured surface to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Use Christmas cookie cutters or knife to cut our shapes.
- Butter cookie sheets and place shapes on sheet.
- Brush shapes lightly with egg whites.
- Bake 8 minutes until crisp.
- Make a hole 1 inch from the top, then cool.
- Ice ornaments as you wish.
- Thread holes with gold cord.