- 1 C. almonds, blanched
- ¾ C. sugar
- ¼ lb. butter
- ½ C. dark molasses
- ½ C. crystallized ginger, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 3 C. flour
- ½ tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp nutmeg, ground
- ½ tsp cloves, ground
- ½ tsp allspice, ground
- 1 tsp. ginger, ground
- ½ tsp. salt
- To blanch the almonds, place in an 8 to 9 inch square pan and bake at 350 until golden brown. Let cool, coarsely chop, and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine sugar, butter, molasses, and ginger and mix until smooth.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and almonds.
- Combine both the wet mixture and the dry mixture.
- On two greased 12×15 inch baking sheets, use well-floured hands to pat dough into 4 flat loaves, spacing them evenly on sheets; each loaf should be about ½ inch thick, 2 inches wide and the length of the baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 until browned at edges and springy to touch, about 25 minutes.
- Let loaves stand on baking sheets until cool to touch, then cut into long, ½-inch thick diagonal slices. On baking sheets, arrange slices close together with a cut side down. Return to oven and bake at 350 until cookies are brown (about 15 minutes).
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.