Broadway veteran and star of FOX’s musical dramedy, “Glee,” Matthew Morrison delivers a quaint little Christmas collection that brings together his Broadway roots as well as some jazz influences.
1. It’s The Most Wonderful Time of the Year – Starting off the EP are smooth horns and buttery vocals that sound like they could be featured on this year’s Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. A festive way to start off the album with a traditional rendition of this Christmas classic. You just can’t go a year without listening to it!
2. This Christmas – Starting off another classic with blazing horns, Matthew’s voice soars throughout the song. It’s interesting to see a more jazzy interpretation of this song considering how it is usually covered by R&B artists. The silky saxophone right before the bridge is perfect.
3. O Holy Night – Taking on one of the most covered Christmas songs of all time, Matthew’s attempt is nearly perfect. The title of the EP is definitely true considering Matthew’s approach to these songs are all the same: classic. His voice glides beautifully over each lyric and helps you get lost in the mood of Christmas.
4. Jingle Belll Rock – For this song, Matthew takes another jazzy approach and the outcome is simply splendid. Definitely something to bop around to in the kitchen as you bake cookies this season. Or maybe you’ll play it as you put up the tree? Either way, it’s nearly impossible to resist singing along to such a great cover.
5. Let It Snow – Accompanying Matthew on yet another catchy Christmas tune is the piano. Once again, Matthew’s Broadway roots shine through brightly on this song.
6. I’ll Be Home for Christmas/Mele Kalikimaka – The final song on the EP blends two unlikely standards together in such a great way that it’s really surprising that no one else decided to make a medley of these two songs before! Instead of singing, “Please have snow and mistletoe” on “Home for Christmas,” Matthew sings, “Please no snow and mistletoe, Hawaii’s where I’ll be” before jumping right into the great song about Hawaii’s green Christmas. A great way to end the album. Notice that Matthew’s signature ukulele is present here too.
Priced at only $4.99 on iTunes and Amazon, this is another great addition to your Christmas playlist this year. If you’re a fan of Michael Bublé’s “Let It Snow!” EP or his full-length “Christmas,” you’re bound to enjoy this small collection of holiday tunes as well. Give it a whirl! You’ll find yourself singing along in no time.